Monday, June 29, 2015

Mag 276: That Lady

This was my sister's old house.

Every evening, after like 8pm, this cat used to come to my sister's house. That's why my sister started keeping cat food that remained untouched.

Her neighbor's dog Peanut, howled every time seeing this stray cat.

One evening, my 3 year old niece Mary was sitting on the stairs, facing this window and was making funny faces.

Me: "Mary, What are you doing baby"
Mary: "I am imitating that lady over the window who has her braid around her neck"
Me: "What lady?"
Mary: *pointing towards the window near that cat* that lady

I started walking up the stairs thinking that its just a child playing when, suddenly Mary started to make choking noises. I got petrified, "Baby, are you OK?"

Mary: "Aunt Lou, I am imitating her"
Midsummer Night's Melancholy by Michael Sowa

That's when I realized those "funny faces" Mary was making was actually a woman gasping for breath, hanging with her braid around her neck.

I almost fell off those stairs. That's the day I would never forget in my entire life.

This post is written for Magpie Tales, Mag 276

10 comments:

  1. Gosh, I didn't see that coming! A great bit of flash fiction.
    Rosey Pinkerton's blog

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an eerie story.. was there cat a ghost of some kind?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brudberg, some people say, that ghosts come in the form of cats. Maybe that woman was the cat

      Delete
  3. The cat had evidently seen it all before , on high rotation ...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Might be, you never know what happens afterlife

      Delete
  4. Wow... that's a haunting story! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fairly refreshingly spooky take on this week's Mag!

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thank you for dropping by and taking you time out to read the post. Please feel free to leave a comment / suggestion to this post.

You can also write to me on bakbak.dee@gmail.com.

Happy Reading!!!!