Tuesday, December 24, 2013

A date with my coffee

Going to Starbucks with friends-nice
Getting tagged by friends-dumb
Ordering your regular coffee without seeing the price-stupidity

I'm a big coffee person, and being a Tamilian may have something to do with it maybe.
I love my coffee sweet, medium strong, milky and frothy and more importantly made in front of me.
So,

I was on line in Starfucks today, stupid coffee place that charges 300 bucks for a coffee..and some strange obsession to see my coffee being made I stood there in front of this glass counter staring at that machine, and this guy with a pony tail with a bored expressionless grumpy face pressed a few lit buttons and "brrruuuuzzzz" the machine puked out a few liquids in a soup bowl size mug got filled with something like a little baby;s diarrhea   (I'm not sorry about my gross description) Its exactly how I felt when I saw the coffee being made. And I picked my cup of watery, not so enticing coffee and passed it on to this teen girlfriend of a friend who swears by Starfucks.

The later that eve,
I go out with my brother, to this small open air coffee place (Tapri in Hindi) on the corner of the road with rickety wooden benches, even before we went near the coffee place, the smell of freshly ground coffee was in the air. That tantalizing aroma.
Filter Kaappi (coffee)
We ordered for two coffees and a kind looking man smiled at us, called for his wife and said "make coffee for our guests"
Guests? He could have aid customers but no..we were his guests and were treated like one 
She then  started making our coffee so beautifully as if it was some delicate piece of art, she put the freshly ground coffee, then sugar and mixed them well, them put in warm milk and frothed it (1 meter coffee) for 3 minutes and gave it to us in cute stainless steel tumblers.
That coffee..... my friend, was heaven, the authentic filter kaapi (Pronunciation: Kaa-pee)...Bliss...It actually took us to another world altogether.That aroma,..That milky coffee flavor..That sip that energizes every cell in your system
To top it all, this amazing coffee cost us mere 8 rupees

Its not how big the place is, Its not how expensive things are.
Its the affection, the expression, the love that you put in what you do for others reflects in the job you have done.

People don't need AC's and Big cushion when they have actually come for a cuppa coffee...
Big chains Coffee places, should change their name to gossip places...

Image Courtesy: My Samsung S-2 plus camera

10 comments:

  1. This post has been selected for the Spicy Saturday Picks this week. Thank You for an amazing post! Cheers! Keep Blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Omg thank you thank you thank you...my first spicy Saturday post

      Delete
  2. Wow, just what I wanted to read. Heard someone justifying a movie outing to PVR, that costed us 420 per head, plus the pop corn and coke, with improper air conditioning and wrong chair height. All this for a stupid movie. The justification was - everyone watches movies for experience, and not for the movie per se. Huh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thats I guess just a self consolation for spending half a thousand bucks on a crappy movie
      And seriously how many expereinces does one need...

      Delete
  3. I drink tea, not coffee. But I heard that Kumbakonam Degree Coffee tastes even better than generic filter coffees. If you see this name somewhere, try it :)

    Destination Infinity

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhhh....if I get it in mumbai I would surely try
      Btw kumbakonam is my maternal ancestor town..I may find an authentic one next time I go there
      Thanks a ton

      Delete
  4. True...sometimes the place doesnt matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, shaivi..its the people and the experience that matters in the end

      Delete
  5. Amazing description Deepa, u r such a wonderful writter

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Thank you for dropping by and taking you time out to read the post. Please feel free to leave a comment / suggestion to this post.

You can also write to me on bakbak.dee@gmail.com.

Happy Reading!!!!